Graphic design is a bigger part of our world today than we often realize. Whether you’re looking to make the perfect eye catching logo for your business or even a simple and personalized card for a loved one, design is of utmost importance. Good graphic design can lead to increased sales and resonate in the hearts of those who see it. Bad or lackluster graphic designs are often forgettable and can even drive business away. The creative process can be difficult, particularly to those without any previous background in the field. If you find yourself struggling to produce a fitting design for your project, then look no further. These few tips will have you overcoming your aesthetic stumbling blocks and creating the design of your dreams in no time!
Graphic Design – What You Need to Know:
- Keep it simple: Every part of your design should have a purpose. Eliminate extra lines, filters, and “noise” from your image. While brevity is key, it’s also important to avoid being too vague. If an aspect of your design doesn’t contribute to your “main idea”, then get rid of it.
- The power of typeface: Simple and modern sans serif fonts are eye catching and easy to read. Avoid using too many different fonts or fonts that are too complex.
- Balance and Contrast: A lack of symmetry in design can look confusing or unprofessional. Experiment with the symmetry of your design, as well as your color palette. Too many dark colors may wash-out your design, as to where a mixture of dark and light tones will lead to an interesting, more powerful aesthetic.
- Bank on borders: Frames and borders will contribute a lot to your design. If you feel your image is lacking focus, try wrapping it in a sophisticated black or white border.
- Originality: A lot of designers fail when they attempt only to mimic the logos or designs of already popular companies. In order to stand out, feel free to experiment with no ideas. While things like balance and simplicity are important, it’s also crucial to remember that there are no “wrong answers” in the world of design.
- The Art of Imitation: Yes, originality is key, but imitation will help you learn the tricks of the trade. There’s nothing wrong with drawing inspiration from someone else’s great work.
- If at first you don’t succeed… Try, try again! Your first attempt will most likely not be your best. But, no one will penalize you for trying too much. Practice will help you develop an eye for what works and what doesn’t.
Hopefully the tips listed above will help you on your journey in the world of graphic design. Remember, simplicity, contrast and balance are all very important, but improvement only comes by way of practice and close observation. Always feel free to experiment with new ideas, and never stop creating.
If you’re in need of custom graphic design, JAS Agency
can help. Our team of Utah-based designers are committed to delivering professional, eye-catching, and creative designs. Our services undercut the cost of our competition by as much as 65%.
to learn more or here
to request a free consultation.